3.20.2005

Age differences…

I was speaking with my Frenchman the other night – we were sharing stories about past relationships. Seems like his 5 year relationship was his first serious relationship…and after telling me a bit about how his relationship worked – he asked me to share some information about what my experience was with “serious” relationships.

I shared with him that in my past 5 years in New York – I really hadn’t had very serious, long-term relationships. Sure, I had dated people for a year or so – but due to distance or other circumstances – they really weren’t day-to-day, get-to-know-someone experiences. SO, I had to go back in time and share with him the story of Peter. My boyfriend in college.

I explained to him that because I was in University and that he wasn’t student – much of our time was spent together over the summers or on breaks from the school calendar or when he was in the area – as he lived in New Hampshire – but most of him time during the school year he was on the road recruiting children for his camp – as he was the director of a Summer Program for boys.

Then the questions came up…if he was a director – how old was he? I told him that we had a 10 year age difference. “WHAT?!?!” was his reaction. “How old were you?” was the next question. When I revealed that I was 19-20 when we met and that he was 29-30, my Frenchman began to “criticize” the relationship – how could a 29 year old want to spend time with a 19 year old? How could my parents allow such a thing? What could we possibly have in common?

Part of me was shocked that he would be so openly against a relationship. It wasn’t as if he knew anything of what Peter and I shared – but, at the same time, as a 28-not-far-from-29, his questions were completely valid.

When is age just a number?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're asking me??? haha Well you were there for the B thang in high school. Many would ask (even now, I do too!) what the HELL a 28 year old would be doing w/a 16 year old!!! Yeah crazy. But I still think back to it and feel what we shared was special. Magickal even. Nothing ever "happened" - so it was innocent for the most part. He was good and kept his actions legal, lol haha!

I dont' think anyone has the right to pass judgment on anyone's relationship just because of age difference. And your difference w/your college man at the time wasn't that bad. Atleast you were legal, lol heehee

12:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey babydoll. Let me chime in here...

Age is relative, everyone knows that. You got yourself a Frenchman and I found myself an Italian! I am 28, my Italian is in his 40's and you know what? I think I FINALLY got the age combination right.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home