3.22.2005

I have a dream...

As yet another crappy days falls on me in this marvelous and crazy city...I have my friends and the weather to keep me smiling through the roughest of times.

Tonight, I was thinking much about the challenges that face me currently. While I am unique - my challenges are not. How do you get past the times when you are dealt a not-so-great hand in life?

When it comes down to it - I am not in such a terrible position. I have a job - be it...well...yucky. It allows me to provide myself with a place to rest. Food in my belly. Internet for those sleepless nights. Thank goodness air is free - otherwise, I would have to move! But, the excitement of every day challenges has lost its luster.

How do we find or get back that "shine"? Does it come with the change of seasons? The ability to just get out wonder and ponder and enjoy just being able to be out and be and not freeze in the process. (Yes, I live on the East Coast!) Does it happen by just appreciating the small little things - a good laugh or cry, a good friend who is there for you, a pleasant interaction one observes on the street?

I used to think that dreaming and believing in your dreams helped. Striving to make dreams come true. At my high school graduation, Ben Vereen said, "Shoot for the moon, the worst that could happen is you end up amongst the stars". When I come to days like this - I do remember that moment, and say this to myself.

People aim for their dreams every day...many achieve this every day.

What are your dreams? Or - as the homeless guy in Hollywood says, "What'syo dream?"

Can you read it? Yes, I am feeling a bit lost. Lost not because I don't have answers for how to change my hand into a winning one...but lost because I feel I have gotten away from what I am striving for. What do I want to do? How do I want to make the most of my time? What mark do I want to make on this world? Even if it is as simple as to create a happy and healthy family.

I have made lists in the past of what I want to accomplish - be it travel, experiences, challenges - you name it. But what do you do when you get so tired from the everyday that reaching for the stars seems near impossible - be them large or small?

This tends to lead more towards the dramatic - as I have been surrounded by many a "soap opera" situation today.

I know that solutions occur a step at a time - we have heard that one since we were small...inch by inch...If I get that basic - then, I guess my first step is to get out of my yucky work environment. (Note: I must buy a thesaurus...but "yucky" is such a great word!)

My fellow readers and bloggers - I look to you for some inspiration. Tell me about your dreams and how you have achieved them or are in the process of reaching them.

I leave you with this thought for the evening...

"Like the elephant, we are unconscious of our own strength. When it comes to understanding the power we have to make a difference in our own lives, we might as well be asleep. If you want to make your dreams come true, wake up. Wake up to your own strength. Wake up to the role you play in your own destiny. Wake up to the power you have to choose what you think, do, and say." -- Keith Ellis, Bootstraps

Bonnes Reves! Schlapp Lecker! Sweet Dreams!

1 Comments:

Blogger Adder said...

You sound the way i felt last week. Its hard to say what anyone should do, hell i could recommend selling everything you own, packing up and completely changing your life, but thats not practical. What about vacation time? Maybe a week off outside the big city would help put things in perspective. Maybe you just need spring to get here in full force to make you feel better, I heard this winter was terrible to all of you north of the mason-dixon. If you have the time find some volunteer work you would be interested in. In my expericances i've always worked alongside some really good people when ive done volunteer work and that helped bring out the best in myself. If your really big on family give big brothers/ big sisters a try, kids are a great way to reclaim or at least witness that innocence we all once had. I hope it does work out for you, and know that your never, ever completely tied down.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home